I'm going to try to keep this post short and sweet, since the platform teams are starting to deliver features faster than I can find time to write about them.
First - the AS3 / Flex SDK:
- FlashBuilder 4 Support
- We've made the necessary changes so that the SDK works with both FlexBuilder 3 and FlashBuilder 4. The SDK should also work with both Flash Player 9 and Flash Player 10. Please let us know on the forums if anything does not work in any of those scenarios.
- All SWCs have been compiled into one file, MapQuestAPI.swc
- We've consolidated all the different .swc files into one single .swc. Our developers sat me down and explained how I was being an idiot asking for separate .swcs, how it didnt save anything for the final application compile size, that everything will still work everywhere, and that all I was doing was making our users' lives painful instead of helping them. Mea Culpa!
- Object Model overhaul to remove unecessary getter/Setter functions
- Most explicit
object.setProperty(value)functions have been removed from the SDK, in favor of a more AS3-friendly
object.property = value. Returning these values using
object.getProperty()has also been changed to
object.property. This is a BIG CHANGE! Be prepared for application code refactoring.
- Shapes and ShapeCollection Overhaul
- The code has been overhauled to be simpler, and use a new internal drawing engine. by doing this we have now been able to add a couple of other new cool features...
- Overlay cutout functionality added.
- You can now add child overlays to a main overlay, and these child overlays will act as clipping masks to punch holes in your polygons, rectangles, ellipses, and circles. So now you can do donut polygons! yay!
- geodesic Lineoverlays
- LineOverlay now has a geodesic option that when set will render a curved line that follows the shape of the earth.
- User Guide overhaul
- All the user guide documentation has been consolidated into a single user guide that follows our new format - we will be continuing to flesh this out over subsequent betas.
You can use any shape overlay to cut holes.
- Overview map control bug fixes
- Several bug fixes along with removing the dependency on vector shapes for the area highlight - so you no longer need to have the overlays module loaded to use the control.
- Added a Carousel Control
- Modeled after our mapquest.com Biz Locator control, this lets you easily add shapecollections to a control on the map that your users can use to toggle the collections on and off.
- Documentation Upgrade
- Added Shape Collections documentation including Basics of Shape Collections, Remote Collections: GeoRSS, KML, and added more materials to the API Reference.
As always more to follow soon - in this case VERY soon, as I committed the cardinal sin of taking vacation, and returned to find a huge pile of updates on my desk that the teams did while I was gone!